On Our Way to Wellness Week 2012
February 15, 2012 | by Hillary Leeb
Photo by Ron Walters
Last week, SpaFinder held a breakfast with actress Mariel Hemingway to inform the media on the fast approaching Wellness Week of 2012. On her spokesperson position, Hemingway responded, “Wellness has always been a passion for me, (however) initially it was a survival technique. My family is wonderful and creative, but various family members suffered from cancer, mental illness and other difficult diseases, so I was always trying to find the latest greatest things to keep health intact. ”
This is the first time SpaFinder has reached out to the Washington D.C. Wellness community, and they couldn’t be happier with the excitement brewing over the week. From March 19th- 25th, participating spas, gyms, yoga and Pilates studios and other wellness businesses will offer certain services for 50% off, or for $50.
If you sign up before February 22nd, you will receive an email on February 23rd with a link to all of the deals being offered in your community. Booking opens up to the general public on February 29th, so signing up beforehand gives you an exclusive look on what you can get. Mariel Hemingway wanted to encourage everyone to take the following Wellness Week Pledge that will lead to a happier and healthier life.
I pledge to:
1) Change my breakfast: I will kick off my day with a healthy meal that includes foods like oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, seeds, nuts, and whole grain cereals and toasts.
2) Choose to move: I will walk more by taking the stairs instead of elevator, parking further from the store, or taking a desk break to go for a five-minute stroll.
3) Hydrate: I will drink a glass of water before breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
4) Add a color to my plate: I will make my meals brighter, more nutritious, and well rounded by adding fruits and veggies that are green, red, yellow, orange, blue or purple.
5) Make my sleep a priority: I will build boundaries around my sleep by sticking to a set bedtime, and by not eating or working in bed.
6) Embrace the power of touch: I will recharge myself and others, through the simple act of giving or receiving a hug, foot rub or five-minute massage.
7) Give myself the gift of silence: I will find 10 minutes a day away from screens of any type – phone, TV, or computer. During this time I will be present and focused on myself.
In honor of Wellness Week, from now until March 25th, The Georgetown Dish will present healthy fitness tips and fun facts every Monday to help you start your week out right.
Visit SpaFinder’s Wellness Week 2012 for more information, and to sign up for your exclusive look at deals in your area.