New Survey Contains Surprising Findings About Community Hopes For Jelleff

Photo by Elizabeth Miller
Elizabeth Miller and Kishan Putta
Elizabeth Miller and Kishan Putta

The results of a recent survey on the Jelleff Community Center showed strong support for fitness and exercise programs for all ages as well as community programming compliment traditional organized soccer and basketball needs.

 

Department of Parks and Recreation has scheduled a meeting on May 8th at 6:30 pm at the Georgetown Library to update the comunity and hear from residents about Jelleff's planned renovation. 

Elizabeth Miller and Kishan Putta (Photo by: Elizabeth Miller) Elizabeth Miller and Kishan Putta

 

A diverse group of more than four hundred community members participated in a survey about the future of the Jelleff Community Center.  The survey found a series of insights that could inform the upcoming renovation.  Those include:

  • More than 50% wanted Jelleff to include Yoga, fitness and other exercise classes and spaces.
  • Just over 30% expressed strong support for basketball and soccer facilities.
  • 20% wanted more general community related programming ranging from photography to art classes to movie screenings and senior wellness.

“If we take a close look at the survey, it is clear that we should be thinking more broadly about exercise, fitness and community programming as a way to serve the most residents and make Jelleff as vibrant as possible,” said ANC Commissioner Elizabeth Miller. 

 

“This survey is intended to inform DPR about the community’s needs and priorities.  The Georgetown community deserves a modernized rec center and seems to want a multipurpose space that serves residents of all ages,” added ANC Commissioner Kishan Putta.

 

Taken over six weeks in the winter of 2019, 411 residents filled out the survey via Survey Monkey.  More than 85% of respondents lived in 20007 zip code, the other 15% were in neighboring zip codes.  65% of respondents were between the ages of 35-64 and nearly all had children.  20% were ages 64+.

 

Below are a selection of comments registered by survey participants:

 

“Would love to make this a REAL community space!”

 

“It is important to focus on making this a strong community resource providing as best possible a safe place with a full range of activity spaces for ages pre-K through seniors.”

 

“It is imperative that Jelleff be a multi-generational facility.  Now it is only geared to youth.  We have so many seniors in this neighborhood, and we have a need for programs.”

 

“Jelleff needs to be rebranded as open to the community.  It feels like a private gym and the activities on their fields/courts always seem associated with private leagues.”

 

“Thanks for surveying the community.”

“Very excited to see what the future holds for Jelleff!”