On The Look Out
NSO Pops presents "Sophisticated Ladies: 100 Years of Ella & Company" at The Kennedy Center March 24 and March 25. Steven Reineke conducts acclaimed vocalists Sy Smith, Capathia Jenkins, and Montego Glover as they celebrate the career of Ella Fitzgerald.
Along with favorites made famous by the First Lady of Song--including "Summertime," "Fascinatin' Rhythm," and more--this program also looks back on the unforgettable contributions of her artistic contemporaries, including American classics by Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holiday, and Dinah Washington.
Closed Monday Productions LLC presents the Art of Legacy exhibition at the newly renovated Old Georgetown Theater, a former silent movie house from the 1900s. The exhibition features Washington DC area artists, John Blee, Barbara Januszkiewicz, Anne Marchand, Martha Spak and photographers Marissa White and Matt Leedham.
The Pop-up exhibition will be on view from March 9-19, 2017. An opening reception will be held on Thursday, March 9, 2017, from 6-8 pm at the newly renovated space located at 1351 Wisconsin Avenue in Georgetown.
“I’m delighted to welcome spring with these iconic DC artists and photographers, and share their work in this historic space that has been lovingly restored,” says Marsha Ralls, “It’s a perfect meeting of historic DC with artists whose work reflects the very nature of the city.” Ralls, the curator and CEO of Closed Monday Productions, worked closely with architect Richard Bell to create a showcase for some of her favorite artists.
Closed Monday Productions LLC was established in 2014 as a private art dealership. CEO Marsha Ralls was the former owner of the Ralls Collection Inc. an art advisory group that expanded in 1991 with the opening of a gallery bearing the same name. The gallery specialized in contemporary painting, photography, prints, and sculpture.
For more information, or to attend the opening reception on March 9, please call 202.450.7825 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Interviews and images available upon request. The gallery hours will be 12:00 pm until 5:00 pm March 10th through March 19th or by appointment.
On the third Monday in February some businesses are open, offices closed and venues free.
OPEN & CLOSED
• Federal and Local Government Offices – Closed
• Georgetown Neighborhood Library – Closed
• Liquor Stores – All stores will be open 10:00 am– 6:00 pm.
• MTA - Information available here.
• Trash and recycling pickup – No collection, all collections scheduled on or after the holiday will be made one day later in the week. Monday collections on Tuesday; Tuesday collections on Wednesday; Wednesday collections on Thursday; Thursday collections on Friday; and Friday collections on Saturday
• Parking at public garages, lots, curbside meters – Free
• Schools and Administrative Offices – Closed
• Courts – Closed
• Smithsonian Museums - Open
• Mount Vernon: Mount Vernon is offering free admission Feb. 20 to celebrate George Washington’s birthday. More details on the Alexandria website.
• Library of Congress: The Library of Congress will hold a Main Reading Room Open House on Feb. 20. There will be special activities for kids in the Library’s Young Readers Center. More details at the LoC site.
• Ferry Farm: Feb. 20 is Archaeology Day at Ferry Farm, George Washington’s boyhood home. Admission is free. Visit its Facebook page.
• George Washington Birthday Parade: The annual George Washington Birthday Parade in Old Town Alexandria starts at 1:00 pm. February 20. Visit the event website.