Want thinner thighs by applying an almond-scented cream? How about eating all the food you want and losing weight by sprinkling a powder on all your food? Or, a simple pill?
Sounds good to me, too! Unfortunately, these are all scams designed to take advantage of America's obesity epidemic and people desperate to lose weight. The Federal Trade Commission is finally taking action and forcing these companies to refund customers who bought these products and is asking consumers to report any claims they may feel are suspicious.
The weight loss industry is exploding with consumers spending $66 billion on weight loss products per year.
For the whole story, watch my interview on CNN's Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer.
To call attention to hunger in America, Bread for the City and the U.S. Department of Agriculture partnered on January 6. Bread for the City provides food, clothing, medical care, housing assistance, job readiness training, and other essential services to over 31,000 needy people in Washington, DC each year.
Kevin Concannon, USDA Under Secretary for Food and Nutrition Service and Anne Alonzo, Administrator for the Agricultural Marketing Service joined George Jones, CEO, Bread for the City, and neighborhood volunteers at Bread for the City’s Food Pantry. Concannon, Alonzo, and Jones hosted a national media conference call discussing the importance of food assistance programs such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program for low income individuals (SNAP), The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) which gives food to organizations to distribute to local households, Women Infants & Children Program (WIC), serving pregnant women and their babies, and school meals in preventing hunger. USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) oversees the administration of 15 nutrition assistance programs. These programs serve one in four Americans over the course of a year and work together to form a national safety net against hunger. Visit www.usda.gov for more information about USDA nutrition assistance programs.
Wouldn't you love to spend the next week at a luxurious spa to shed those holiday pounds? Impractical? Okay, create a "Home Health Spa" with my post-holiday detox plan, and you can get pretty darn close to feeling like you are visiting a real spa.
1. Minesweep for Calorie Bombs – Banish any “risky,” fattening or unhealthy foods from the house.
2. Control Your Environment - Stock your home (and office) with delicious, healthy foods, such as the batch recipes, like hearty soups and stews from Diet Simple, and Diet Simple Farm to Table Recipes, and piles of clean, chopped, ready-to-grab fruit and veggie dishes with plenty of yogurt (see below).
3. Hit the Ground Running - Start every day with physical activity - particularly the cardiovascular kind for body fat loss. Don’t even think about it! Before checking email, taking phone calls, or applying make-up (I know – I’m horrible!), get out the door for a walk, jump on your home treadmill, go to bootcamp or to the gym.
4. Join a Local Spa - The most luxurious and complete health club and spa in Washington is the Four Seasons Health Club, hands down (where I give regular lectures with receptions catered by Four Seasons Hotel Executive Chef Douglas Anderson), complete with a salt-water swimming pool, coffee and tea bar with fresh fruit, special relaxation lounges, massages, facial and body treatments, that oh-so-elegant Four Seasons Hotel service, and even free parking. They also provide highly skilled trainers from Verve Health Club to whip you into shape.
Diet Simple gives you creative ways to increase your physical activity or contact Katherine for personalized coaching.
4. Eat Breakfast Every Morning – Preferably at home, so you’re not tempted by the bagel-the-size-of-your-head at the office or the doughnuts and cookies passed around at the mid-morning meeting. Studies show skimping on breakfast usually backfires and causes over-eating later. Diet Simple is filled with enticing breakfast ideas.
5. Eat Light at Night – Soup is ideal for feeling satisfied with fewer calories so you don’t go to bed feeling too full. It helps you sleep better, helping you wake up early enough to exercise and feel hungry for a good breakfast in the morning. Diet Simple and Diet Simple Farm to Table are filled with delicious soup ideas,
6. Sleep at least 7 to 8 Hours – Sleep disturbances are correlated with weight problems,
7. It Takes A Village - Spend your time with like-minded people and avoid people who will sabotage your goals. This is an important feature of being at a spa which makes it so easy. If your spouse or friends are not on board, it will be difficult to stick with any plan. In Diet Simple, Katherine gives you ideas for handling the people in your life. Or, contact Katherine for Personalized Coaching.
The Battle of the Bulge is Won at the Margins. Sweeping Dietary Overhauls are Impractical and Don't Work Over Time. Shrewd, Small, Concrete Changes Which Can be Easily Incorporated into Your Daily Routine Lead to Success!
Katherine's Simple Detox Diet to Lose Weight Fast
1. Eat your large, balanced - delicious - breakfast you enjoy (examples in Diet Simple) comprising at least 1/3 of your day's calories,
3. At lunch and dinner, eat only lean proteins, such as seafood, poultry, extra lean red meat, fruits and veggies (fruits and veggies are UNLIMITED). Banish refined starchy foods and sugars from lunch and dinner until you lose your desired weight,
4. Eat pleanty of YOGURT. Why yogurt? A body of scientific evidence is building that yogurt may help keep you lean. A Harvard study found eating yogurt is correlated with lower body weights. A more recent study found changing the bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract to the healthier kind may make it easier for some people to lose weight. Yogurt contains probiotics which provide beneficial bacteria in your GI tract which help your immune system and may even keep you lean,
4. You must build up to at least 10,000 pedometer steps minimum, but 12,000 to 15,000 steps per day average to lose weight and transform your health with ease.
Contact Katherine for Your Personalized Detox Diet Plan. Custom-Designing Your Diet Makes Everything Easier and More Enjoyable, according to my clients.